- Text never runs against column edges, borders, images, or captions. These items are separated by as much whitespace as possible.
- Headings are easily distinguished from paragraphs and list items.
- Headings and other emphasized items cannot be mistaken for links. Links are distinguishable from their surrounding text and do not resemble other items on the page.
- Contact information, site maps, search, FAQs, and other “help” items are easily located.
- Each page contains information about a single topic OR serves as an index to a group of related pages.
I violate #3 fairly often, even here. It’s still a good rule.